Montrose Journal Christmas 10
Planet Cyberspace (Facts Box)
- By 2010, Generation Y will outnumber Baby Boomers – 96% have joined a social network.
- Social media has overtaken porn as the Number 1 activity on the Web.
- If Facebook were a country it would be the world’s 4th largest between the United States and Indonesia. China’s QZone may be even bigger.
- Wikipedia has over 13 million articles – 78% of them are non-English.
- There are more than 200,000,000 blogs.
- 80% of companies use LinkedIn as a primary tool to find employees.
- Generations Y and Z consider email passé.
- The fastest growing segment on Facebook is 55–65-year-old females.
- 54% of bloggers post content or tweet daily.
- The second largest search engine in the world is YouTube.
- In the near future, we will no longer search for products and services, they will find us.
- Russia has the most engaged social media audience with visitors spending 6.6 hours per day and viewing 1,307 pages per visitor per month.
- 1 out of 8 couples married in the US last year met via social media.
- Years to reach 50 million users; Radio (38 years), TV (13 years), Internet (4 years), iPod (3 years). Facebook added 100 million users in 9 months. iPhone applications hit 1 billion in the same period.
- A 2009 US government survey revealed that on average online students out-perform those receiving face-to-face tuition.